There’s nothing better than a cool, refreshing glass of clear and purified water to keep you going. Everyone needs water to survive–but that doesn’t mean that you won’t see issues from time to time in your water supply. For example, many homeowners struggle with orange water stains that leave an ugly mark on their clothes and stick to their tubs.
While you might assume that these orange stains are here to stay, this is far from the truth. Water solutions like water treatment systems can get rid of that stark orange stain and keep your water crystal-clear, ensuring that your home’s water is the finest quality it can be.
But what causes these stains, what solutions are available, and how can a water treatment system help eliminate this problem? This article will guide you through everything to know about orange water stains to address the problem efficiently as soon as you notice it in your home. Let’s dive in!
What Causes Orange Water Stains?
So what’s really the culprit behind tough orange water stains throughout your home? These stains usually come from one of the following three sources:
- Iron and magnesium in your water supply. Your home’s water supply might contain high levels of iron or magnesium that cause these stains in your bathroom. When combined with leftover soap scum, iron and magnesium can create a rusty, tough orange deposit on your clean tub or sink. While your water might come out clear, it can turn orange when exposed to air and oxidation.
- Pink mold. This possibility might seem confusing, but pink mold isn’t the same as the mold you’ve seen before. Instead of being a mold, pink mold is a waterborne or airborne bacteria you can find in some water supplies that build up in your bathtub and sink over time. This bacteria isn’t always pink–it often appears reddish or orange, similar to iron and magnesium stains.
- Other bacteria from moist areas. If your stains aren’t caused by iron, magnesium, or pink mold, they may come from bacteria that build up in moist areas like your bathroom. These stains can arise if you don’t clean these surfaces regularly, causing an unsanitary environment.
How Can I Remove Orange Water Stains?
Once you notice these stains building up in your bathroom or kitchen, it’s time to take action. However, many homeowners struggle to remove these stains simply by scrubbing them away. Though a system like a water softener is best for purifying your water and preventing this situation in the future, there are a few ways you can get rid of orange water stains once they settle into your home.
Unlike other stains, orange water stains in your clothing cannot be removed using bleach. Bleach or any other product containing sodium hypochlorite is an oxidizer, and if your stains are coming from iron and magnesium build-up, using bleach can worsen the rust stain. A rust stain remover is required to get rid of orange stains once they make their appearance. Consider the following solutions to get rid of stains in your home:
- Oxalic acid: this solution helps remove rust stains from clothes and fabrics and works with a homemade mixture of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.
- Hydrogen peroxide: this common household item is perfect for removing rust stains from clothes and surfaces when combined with other cleaning agents.
- Vinegar: you can use vinegar as part of a homemade solution to eliminate rust stains from clothing and other fabric–however, this and hydrogen peroxide can irritate the skin, so it’s best to proceed cautiously and take the proper steps to get rid of stains.
You’ll also want to clean the stains you currently have as soon as possible to get your home back to its pristine state. Beyond your clothes, here are some ways to get rid of stains in your bathtub, sink, or other tricky surfaces:
- Baking soda and white vinegar: This tried and true solution perfectly creates a natural cleaner for your home and removes pesky orange water stains from your kitchen and bathroom surfaces. Create a solution that’s two parts white vinegar and one part water. Spray the orange stains, allowing them to sit for up to 20 minutes. Sprinkle baking soda on the area with tough stains or create a paste with the vinegar, allowing it to sit for an hour before you scrub and rinse.
- Lemon and water: A simple combination of lemon juice and warm water is another classic at-home cleaning solution that can help remove pesky orange stains from your kitchen and bathroom surfaces. Combine these two ingredients into a bottle and spray the orange stains. Allow the solution to sit for ten minutes before cleaning the surface.
Are There Any Health Concerns Associated With Orange Water Stains?
The answer to this question boils down to the source of the stains. If the stains are caused by iron and magnesium buildup in your home, they won’t cause you to become sick or cause serious health concerns. However, pink mold can cause health issues, ranging from allergic reactions to respiratory issues.
While it doesn’t have as many severe health concerns as other types of mold, such as black mold, addressing a pink mold issue is crucial to avoid any health risks that can worsen with time. Because of this, it’s crucial to reach out to water experts like the team at C and J Water to ensure that your water is as high-quality as possible.
How to Prevent Orange Water Stains
Orange water stains are often harmless, but that doesn’t make them less of an eyesore. When you notice these stains build up in your home’s water supply, it’s time to contact an expert like the team at C and J Water. Our experts will provide you with water solutions and systems to prevent orange water stains in the future, such as the following:
A water softener is one of the best ways to prevent orange water stains from re-entering your home. Water softeners help remove high levels of calcium and magnesium that cause orange, rusty stains throughout your home. This water treatment system uses salt to lower levels of calcium and magnesium in your home’s water supply, making it possible to eliminate ugly orange stains.
Water Filtration Systems
A whole-house water filter system can significantly improve your home’s water quality, ensuring your bathing and drinking water is clear, pure, and safe. Filters are especially crucial if you have well water, providing a long-term solution to eliminate irritating stains and keep your home looking its best.
Testing Your Water
Detecting issues that cause orange water stains is crucial, but homeowners often struggle to independently test their home’s water supply and quality. To solve this issue, you’ll need a thorough water analysis like the one conducted by C and J Water. Our free water analysis involves a thorough test to identify the issues behind your home’s orange water stains and craft an action plan to tackle these stains and prevent them from reappearing in the future.
What Water Solutions Does C and J Water Provide?
The experts at C and J Water have several solutions to your water problems, like orange water stains. Among the solutions that we can offer based on your free water analysis are the following:
- Single-tank water softener: A single-tank water softener is perfect for city water applications and is effective in some well water applications.
- Softener/Dechlorinator combination: This combo unit extends the life of your current water softener while removing harmful irritants and other elements present in your water supply to improve your water’s purity.
- Twin tank softener: This water softener regenerates with soft water, giving you 24/7 soft water and a long-lasting water softener.
- AIO systems: When added to an existing water softener, this system can remove iron and odor that the softener media can’t eliminate.
- Reverse osmosis unit: A reverse osmosis solution is created for water consumption to ensure your water is ready for drinking and cooking. This solution removes any dissolved solids not removed by your home’s water softener.
- U.V. light: A U.V. light is helpful to aid in the removal of undesired pathogens in your home’s water supply, including E.coli, coliform, giardia, fecal bacteria, and Cryptosporidium.
Solve Your Home’s Water Quality Problems With C and J Water
Your water supply is the backbone of your home and livelihood, and ensuring that your water is always high-quality and drinkable is crucial for a healthy and happy home life. When you notice or suspect issues with your water supply, or if you haven’t had your water tested in a while, it’s best to contact the experts at C and J Water for all the water solutions you seek.
C and J Water provide the best solutions for homeowners who want to improve their water quality to remove irritating orange water stains and prevent future water issues. Central Indiana residents will find everything they need for their home’s water supply from C and J Water, the premier provider of all water solutions for the area.
Don’t neglect your home’s water issues any longer. Contact the experts at C and J Water today to schedule an appointment and discover the cause behind your home’s orange water stains and other water issues.